Cessna 172 Very cool and amazing. crosswind landing.

March 23, 2010

Cessna 172 Took my co-worker Alex for a flight. All the credit for this video goes to him. He has an amazing sense of camera. I always wanted to see how my gears close to the runway and he did it. Could be used as a nice crab technique demonstration for crosswind landings. Cessna 172 You might want to check this out too youtube.com

Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

Comments

27 Responses to “Cessna 172 Very cool and amazing. crosswind landing.”

1. armanys2003 on March 23rd, 2010 7:53 pm

As far as I know ALL of the planes have magnetic compass. Thats piece of equipment that will be working evenwhen everything else fails in the plane

2. armanys2003 on March 23rd, 2010 8:26 pm

It does have magnetic compass, it’s just bad quality video :)

3. CrisToferCANUCK on March 23rd, 2010 9:00 pm

new 172′s dont come with magnetic compasses usually they have a garmin GPS that do it those are old and really unreliable

4. theflyingspoons2568 on March 23rd, 2010 9:29 pm

did any one notice that the magnetic compass was missing? really check it out its at 2:50

5. omsaj891 on March 23rd, 2010 10:02 pm

@NMoulana
    im pretty sure u need to learn sideslip and forward slip to get your license!
    i had to go over them to get mine
    maybe he will teach you but not yet u know later in the course

6. jmitterii2 on March 23rd, 2010 10:35 pm

That was nice!!! And you really did have a very strong xwind component!!!!

I don’t like the crab method too much, I break into a forward slip early on final– the crab method shows some real skill! Do you get xwinds like that there alot?

7. coineach on March 23rd, 2010 10:59 pm

Easiest way to make a cross-wind landing on a high wing aircraft like a Cessna is to slid-slip it in. 25kt crosswind on a Cessna 152 – no problem.

8. NMoulana on March 23rd, 2010 11:04 pm

Man I’ve seen everything now, I’ve seen sideslip landings forward slip landings. My instructor is a tight ass and only wants me to do the basic traffic pattern stuff because of legal issues but I don’t learn any of the cool tricks. Once I get my license I want to learn some advanced techniques.

9. etarheel1 on March 23rd, 2010 11:15 pm

I think you did a great job man, don’t worry about the other comments!

10. ejuoi on March 24th, 2010 12:02 am

I KNOW RIGHT??????? LOLOLOL

11. armanys2003 on March 24th, 2010 12:50 am

Watch out buddy, I’ve got lots of supporters here, they will send a petition to FAA to revoke your commercial, or ATP whatever you have got there.. hahahahaha (jk). Be safe

12. emp29 on March 24th, 2010 1:41 am

what’s the fuss all about? I’m going with the vid poster. This does look like a x-wind landing to me. I would also agree that you could have a crosswind and still be smooth. Gusts make you fight the controls, steady winds make come in sideways.

13. manchoofoo on March 24th, 2010 2:11 am

Whats the big deal with this landing. Doesn’t look anything special to me!

14. ejuoi on March 24th, 2010 3:09 am

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

15. menzieslane on March 24th, 2010 3:58 am

@ ejuoi – why on earth would you need to “fight the controls” and “bounce all over the place” on a cross wind landing?

“Fighting the controls” and “bouncing all over the place” sounds like a reason to abort the landing, not a standard crosswind landing. Suggest you hand your CPL back, get back to your computer games and leave the real flying to pilots like armanys2003.

How can you not see the crabbing??

16. AntiramDSR on March 24th, 2010 4:54 am

annoying persons inc.

17. armanys2003 on March 24th, 2010 5:16 am

Okay lets say you are an ERJ pilot (presumably I have no reason not to believe you). No please tell me how much fighting will you have to do if you fly a C172 at SMOOTH 15kt real crosswind on final, while flying crab and slipping right before touchdown? And lets finish it there please.

18. ejuoi on March 24th, 2010 5:41 am

I am a commercial pilot. And an ERJ pilot. Every landing has a certain xwind component, certanly on a 172 since it wants to turn sideways on landing. My point is that it was not a crosswind demonstration as it says on your title and info.

19. armanys2003 on March 24th, 2010 6:11 am

From your own videos I can see that you probably are a very good simmer, i have no doubt. And I must say you have a dam good system there to be able to render that quality you have got there. However keep in mind that the real life is sometimes different. Crosswind doesn’t mean fighting the controls, specially when flying it in a crab, and entering a slip right before the touchdown. You can have 15kt x-wind (real crosswind) and be in a smooth air. no need to fight at all.

20. ejuoi on March 24th, 2010 6:50 am

dude if that was a real crosswind landing you would have been bouncing all over the place fighting the controls and ultimately making the 3 point landing. If anything there might have been a gentle breeze mixed in with the 172s left turning tendency. certainly not a demonstration of crosswind landings.

21. armanys2003 on March 24th, 2010 7:28 am

Okay you got it! You proved it. I am a blatant lair. The winds were calm, the clouds were clean. Happy? Feel better?
    ughhhh these people.

22. ejuoi on March 24th, 2010 7:46 am

the airplanes nose was pointing down the runway the whole time, the camera angle makes it seem like a crosswind landing.

23. amdsasr3 on March 24th, 2010 8:05 am

@ejuoi mate you dont know shit if you cant see the crab angle he has on final…. douche

24. armanys2003 on March 24th, 2010 8:43 am

Thanks!

25. armanys2003 on March 24th, 2010 9:10 am

bhahaaha. look again, though everybody is entitled to their own opinion

26. Larry on June 8th, 2010 2:31 pm

I’m an ATP, CFI, MEI, typed in the C500 (Citation I, II, SII, V), C560XL (Citation Excel), C650 (CitationIII, VI, VII), and currently flying the C750 (Citation X (the ’10′)). Great to see someone so enthusiastic about their flying! Got hundreds of hours in 150s and 172s and have landed in xwinds up to 35kts. As long as wind direction and velocity are stable there’s never any need for fighting with the controls as doing so only creates pilot-induced turbulence. Conversely, when winds are variable and gusty, xwind landings can certainly become more ‘entertaining’! After logging 1000 hrs of single engine time between the 150L, 172M, and 172SP I previously owned, I could comfortably and consistently carry a crab into the flare and smoothly transition to wing-low sideslip before touchdown. Of course if the air was rough, it’s a good policy to transition sooner to avoid touching down sideways. Believe it or not, the X must be landed in a crab in xwinds to avoid wingtip contact with the ground during the flare. The hardest thing about learning to land the X is un-learning how to correctly land virtually every other airplane I’ve ever flown!

27. Larry on June 8th, 2010 2:51 pm

One more thing on the subject of xwind landings… Any pilot that knows how to use the ‘wind side’ of an E6B can verify the accuracy of crosswind velocity claimed in a photo or video by computing the approximate wind correction angle for the approach speed of the airplane. It’s not subjective – it’s science! So instead of simply disputing or defending a claim – just do the math! Also, to my knowledge, all aircraft require a magnetic compass since it’s the only directional indicator that will be operable in the event of gyro failure. Every jet I’ve flown, including the X which has a full Honeywell Primus 2000 ‘glass cockpit’, has had a magnetic compass.

Got something to say?