Hard/Bad Landing in a Cessna 172SP

July 14, 2010

Everything about this flight was just bad; we couldn’t start the engines, couldn’t take off on center line, and the landing was even worse. We were way too low, then way too high, then too low, too far left, then too far high again. After a text-book perfect ballooning and high flare, we plow onto the runway. This was my 400th landing in the Cessna 172, but I don’t think it showed. Atleast we were on centerline.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

Comments

25 Responses to “Hard/Bad Landing in a Cessna 172SP”

1. WestAirAviation on July 14th, 2010 7:55 am

@SkylaneCaptain Thank’s for the reply Skylane, I love your videos. Anyways, to answer your question my two friends (Riddle Pilots) with me during the flight performed the exterior preflight, while I executed the interior preflight in an attempt to save time.

2. SkylaneCaptain on July 14th, 2010 8:31 am

@WestAirAviation If the huge crack on the verticle stabilizer was not from your flight how did you miss it during preflight? Just asking because you described it as “huge”. Fortunate that it didn’t fail in flight. There would have been a worse result than a bad landing.

3. SenorSpode on July 14th, 2010 9:12 am

I saw what you meant by “too high”, was thinking “Man, you better forward slip that baby until I can see the runway through the rear window!”, LOL. It was just one of those days, they do exist…and always for a reason. Good job!

4. MegaPascal31 on July 14th, 2010 10:03 am

see thats my problem, my approach is usually good, but im always off the center line since im afraid to add rudder since it might cause me to land at an angle :$ ( im probably at aroun 50-60 landings)

5. Helicopterpilot16 on July 14th, 2010 10:14 am

Any landing you walk away from is a good landing!

6. MrJohndl on July 14th, 2010 11:10 am

Trying to land a plane after such a long approach is really really difficult – I would have joined the circuit and made the base and approach legs much shorter. Landing was ok considering the ‘average’ approach.

7. CaptBesweri on July 14th, 2010 12:01 pm

Think u pulled too hard on the yoke on the final stage of the flare try to keep the same atitude during the flare as the atitude at the point of take off with the nose gear well off the ground I am learning to do this and it works I have about 200 landings

8. alwonner62 on July 14th, 2010 12:51 pm

Not a bad landing. Lots of cumulus around and up and down drafts. Flare a bit high maybe but I guess you were just few knots too fast (that’s why the stall horns was blowing in your ears for so long!!!). How many degrees of flaps? You were a bit too high as well initially, then maybe you put full flaps to reach the runway. But I think that you did very well in this bumpy ride. Thank you for the nice instructing video. Excellent teaching material.

9. chris5812341234 on July 14th, 2010 1:35 pm

o thats gonna leave a mark

10. Rodge91Rodge on July 14th, 2010 1:41 pm

@WestAirAviation embry-riddle also teaches people to fly into buildings.

11. myrandomspaces on July 14th, 2010 2:28 pm

it was screaming what was your pitch?

12. escientman on July 14th, 2010 3:10 pm

Its not that bad of a landing

13. WestAirAviation on July 14th, 2010 3:52 pm

We did 4 go-arounds trying to land at Sedona (KSEZ) for lunch. Go-Arounds were on our minds, but there was a lot of traffic nearby that we had lost sight of and wanted to avoid.

If I recall, the aircraft had a huge crack on the vertical stabilizer, but I don’t think that was from our flight.

14. WestAirAviation on July 14th, 2010 4:29 pm

InuKun,

Embry-Riddle actually teaches us to set the stall horn off on the flare as standard procedure; At this point it’s muscle-memory.

15. InuKun2008 on July 14th, 2010 5:15 pm

@explicit1981 Even more cool when you don’t even set the stall warning horn off because you were so gentle and calm with the landing.

16. InuKun2008 on July 14th, 2010 6:08 pm

You’re lucky that when you flared high and touched down, the suspension didn’t give way. Anything above 10 feet, you run the risk of damaging the suspension on the 172SP. Your biggest mistake though, quite honestly, was putting yourself in the mindset as you approached the runway of “I must land this time”. Unless you are in an emergency, if you don’t like something about the approach sequence and runway environment, the best thing you can do is execute a Go Around.

17. cornell3206 on July 14th, 2010 6:24 pm

Don’t worry any landing you can walk away from is good and if you can use the plane again it was great !!!

18. caseyboy1123 on July 14th, 2010 6:54 pm

easy killer

19. appleglory on July 14th, 2010 7:46 pm

landings arnt always perfect u faggot

20. Fromheaven007 on July 14th, 2010 8:12 pm

any flight is alike to other flight. some are good, others are excelents and others…………….

21. explicit1981 on July 14th, 2010 8:37 pm

or the 8 hours from the toke to the yoke :D

22. explicit1981 on July 14th, 2010 9:35 pm

ya, the proper way is to power to idle as you cross the threshold and level off a few feet above the runway letting the airplane essentially stall just inches from the asphalt. its a cool feeling when you can squeak it in and not even feel it.

23. AWE319 on July 14th, 2010 10:05 pm

Seems you flared too high up. In a cessna what I learned way back is that when you have a decent runway length (which Prescott has) it is best to glide all the way down until you are about a foot or two above the runway when you will then begin to rotate and it typically rolls right onto the pavement for you.

24. grumman581 on July 14th, 2010 10:41 pm

Had trouble staring the engine*s*? Well, that’s probably part of the problem, the 172 only has a *single* engine…

25. kimiles1 on July 14th, 2010 11:11 pm

like outkast said, at least you held centreline…

Got something to say?